Are you into gaming? Then you have definitely heard about Playstations and its amazing Dualshock controller. While PC gamers mainly use the keyboard and mouse to play different games, playing with a Dualshock 3/4 gives you a different experience.
But did you know you need software to connect Dualshock 3/4 to windows? Here we will guide you through the entire process.
What is DS4Windows?
In layman terms, DS4Winodws is open-source software to connect PS4/PS3 controllers to your Windows PC. On the more technical end, it is gamepad mapping applications. It emulates X-Box controllers and makes your windows machine believe that the Dualshock 3/4 is actually an X-Box controller.
Why do we require DS4Windows?
Sony’s Playstation controllers don’t connect to a PC by default. You can try to connect them via USB or Bluetooth, but the result will be the same.
So, to connect this incredible controller to your PC, you will need a virtual emulator that can map Dualshock gamepad like DS4Windows.
What are the system requirements for DS4Windows?
There are very basic system requirements to install DS4Windows on a PC or Laptop. They are:
- Windows 10 or newer versions
- Microsoft .NET 5.0 or higher
- Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable, x64 or x86
- Additional requirements: A Micro USB cable, A Bluetooth adapter (in case you don’t have it built-in), a Dualshock controller
What are the features of DS4Windows?
- A single application to map a DS4 and the latest DualSense 5 controllers
- Allows Dualshock4 to run a fair deal of PC games that don’t support it directly
- In some scenarios, it emulates DS4 v.1 for games that only support a Sony DS4 v.1
- Provides wireless or third-party DS4 support for some games
- Emulates KB+M to support PC games needing KB+M input actions
- Ample modification options to customize input and output response
- Allows DS4 touchpad to act like a mouse or other output controls
- You can play games requiring Gyro controls by emulating Mouse or Mouse-like RS output.
- Flexibility in altering lightbar color, checking the battery level, assigning slot numbers to specific colors, profile-controlled alteration of lightbar color
- Auto profile switching when there a specific program is initiated
- Assign control beyond the number of buttons on the device
- Automatically checks for app updates.
How to Download DS4Windows on Windows PC?
Downloading and installing DS4Windows is the same as other windows software. We have simplified it further with a step-by-step guide for your convenience.
Step 1: Search google for DS4Windows download, or follow this link.
Step 2: You can choose either X64 or X86 software, depending on your operating system.
Step 3: Right-click on the .zip file. A window will pop up asking you the location of where to extract the files. You can either choose to extract them to the same folder where you have downloaded the original .zip file. Or any other folder to your convenience.
Step 4: You will have all the necessary files at your disposal.
How to Install DS4Windows?
You’ll notice two important applications, DS4Updater.exe and DS4Windows. The earlier is responsible for keeping your DS4Windows software up-to-date with the latest drivers.
The latter is, DS4Windows.exe is the actual program that you will use to connect Dualshock with your PC. Double-click on it and begin the setup.
How to set up DS4Windows?
Upon starting the app for the first time, you will be prompted to select a location to save your profile and settings. We recommend selecting the default location first.
A new window will open asking you to install the latest driver. Click on the ‘Install the DS4 Driver’ button and let the application download the latest update. It will download the drivers required for running the PS4 DualShock controller in Windows 10/8.1/8.
However, if you are still using Windows 7, you will need an additional download of ‘Install 360 Driver’.
How to connect Dualshock 3/4 with your PC?
Having completed the previously mentioned steps accordingly, you can now connect your PS4 DualShock 4 to your PC. There are two ways to connect your Dualshock controller to a PC – via USB or Bluetooth.
Connect via USB
You will require a micro USB cable to connect the Dualshock controller to the PC. If you a one already, that would suffice. Just plug it in your controller and plug it into your PC. Windows should easily recognize your controller, and you are ready to play games with it.
Connect via Bluetooth
Playstation DualShock 4 controller uses Bluetooth to connect to the gaming console. Therefore, you can also use it to connect with your PC. However, you need to ensure a Bluetooth receiver is in place. Pair it with the controller as you pair any Bluetooth device and start enjoying your favorite games.
And that’s it. You have the complete details of downloading, installing, and using the DS4Windows application on your PC. Ensure you have all the necessary things before starting; you will have a seamless experience using the software.