Remember those days of losing count of laps in the pool or wishing your phone could survive underwater? My old “pool watch” was about as high-tech as a plastic floatie, and I dreamed of a smarter companion for my swim sessions.
Well, guess what? Swimming watches have finally caught up with our aquatic dreams! They’re sleek, they’re smart, and they track every stroke, heart beat, and even your competitive spirit. But with so many options out there, choosing the right one can feel like swimming through a sea of confusion.
Don’t worry, fellow water lovers! This article is your guide to navigating the world of swimming watches. We’ll explore 5 of the best options that are ready to make a splash, from their waterproof powers to their GPS tracking and heart-rate magic. Whether you’re a seasoned swimmer or just starting out, we’ll help you find the perfect watch to make your time in the water even more fun and fulfilling.
So, get ready to dive in and discover the best swimming watches of 2024! It’s time to make every lap count.
Best Swimming Watches to Buy
1. Garmin Forerunner 945: Your Aquaworld Ace (and Beyond)
Forget juggling watches when adventure calls. The Garmin Forerunner 945 is your swimming maestro and land-loving champ, all in one. Conquer laps with advanced swim metrics, then hit the trails with precise GPS tracking. This watch is your data-driven sidekick, no matter your terrain.
Dive in with confidence:
- 50m water resistance: Ocean? Pool? No problem. The Forerunner 945 tracks your every stroke, from dolphin dives to butterfly glides.
- GPS mastery: Never get lost, even on the bumpiest trails. Dual satellite connection (GPS and GLONASS) keeps you on track, every step of the way.
- Train like a pro: Get insights to optimize your workouts, from VO2 max to recovery time. This watch knows your limits before you do.
- Music on the move: Ditch the bulky phone. Store and stream tunes directly from your wrist, keeping your motivation flowing.
- Smarter than the average watch: Customizable faces, smart notifications, and contactless payments make this more than just a fitness tracker. It’s your wrist-worn command center.
- Battery life that won’t quit: Train for weeks in smartwatch mode, or crush 36 hours with GPS. This watch fuels your adventures, long after your phone gives up.
The good, the bad, and the verdict:
- Pros: Laser-sharp GPS, advanced metrics, contactless payments, marathon battery life
- Cons: Limited music storage, may need extra sensors for complete accuracy
The Forerunner 945 is your all-in-one champion for water warriors and landlubbers alike. It’s powerful, versatile, and ready to level up your every adventure.
Check Price on Amazon
2. Coros Vertix 2: Built for the Wild, Ready for the Water
This watch is a mountain goat in a smartwatch body. It’s tough, it’s packed with features, and it’s ready to take on any adventure, whether you’re swimming laps or scaling peaks.
Here’s what makes it stand out:
- GPS that never gets lost: Find your way anywhere with dual satellite support (GPS and GLONASS).
- Altitude tracking for those Everest dreams: A built-in barometer keeps tabs on your climbs.
- Heart rate monitoring for every heart-pumping moment: Stay in tune with your body, even during intense workouts.
- Sports tracking for all your passions: Running, cycling, swimming, hiking—this watch has you covered.
- Battery life that never quits: Up to 30 days in smartwatch mode or 100 hours with GPS. That’s some serious staying power.
The pros and cons:
Pros: Accurate GPS, customizable data, plays well with accessories.
Cons: Limited apps, not the most stylish design
The bottom line:
The Coros Vertix 2 is for adventurers who don’t shy away from a challenge. It’s built to handle the toughest conditions and track every aspect of your performance, in the water and beyond. If you’re looking for a swimming watch that can keep up with your wildest adventures, this is it.
Check Price on Amazon
3. Garmin Descent Mk2i: Dive Master on Your Wrist
Forget fumbling with dive computers. The Garmin Descent Mk2i is your wrist-mounted ocean guide, tracking every underwater adventure with shark-like precision.
This watch dives deep with:
- 100 meters of water resistance: From pool splashes to coral reefs, the Descent Mk2i laughs in the face of H2O.
- Dive tracking like a pro: Log every descent, surface interval, and water temperature. This watch knows your fins from your flippers.
- GPS and GLONASS on deck: Never get lost, even after surfacing from the Mariana Trench (okay, maybe stick to shallower waters).
- Altitude that knows the peaks: A built-in barometer keeps tabs on your climbs, whether on land or through bubbles.
- Heart rate monitor for every beat: Stay in tune with your body, from pre-dive jitters to post-surface exhilaration.
- Pros: Advanced dive metrics, customizable data fields, accessory compatibility
- Cons: Bulky design, limited appeal for non-divers
The Garmin Descent Mk2i is for underwater enthusiasts who crave data-driven dives. It’s powerful, feature-packed, and built for serious exploration. So, if you’re looking for a swimming watch that speaks the language of the ocean, the Descent Mk2i is your aquatic translator.
Check Price on Amazon
4. Apple Watch Ultra: Your Wrist’s High-Tech Dive Buddy (and More)
Forget juggling gadgets on your next adventure. The Apple Watch Ultra is your iPhone-powered Swiss Army Knife, ready to conquer pools, mountains, and everything in between.
This sleek powerhouse boasts:
- GPS and GLONASS precision: Never get lost, whether navigating urban jungles or actual jungles.
- Heart rate monitor for every pulse: Track your fitness from pool laps to peak climbs.
- Multi-sport master: Running, cycling, swimming, hiking? The Ultra tracks it all, dishing out insights to make you a data-driven beast (again, in a good way).
- Tech to keep you connected: Contactless payments, Siri at your beck and call, and customizable watch faces make this more than just a timepiece. It’s your wrist-worn command center.
- Pros: App ecosystem, versatile bands, sleek design
- Cons: Average battery life, cellular data plan needed
The Apple Watch Ultra is for iPhone users who crave a premium smartwatch with serious outdoor chops. It’s stylish, powerful, and packed with Apple’s signature tech. So, if you’re looking for a swimming watch that seamlessly integrates with your iPhone life, the Ultra is your tech-savvy sidekick.
Check Price on Amazon
5. Polar Grit X: Your Rugged Wrist-Mounted Atlas (and Swimming Pal)
Say goodbye to shaky tech; this smartwatch thrives on the wild. The Polar Grit X is a mountain goat in smartwatch clothing, built to brave blizzards, conquer trails, and dominate your laps in the pool.
This adventure beast boasts:
- Global navigation like a pro: GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo give you pinpoint accuracy, whether you’re scaling Everest or just trying to find your way back from the grocery store (no judgment).
- Built-in compass, barometer, and altimeter: Never get lost (again) with your own wrist-mounted guide. Know your altitude, track the weather, and feel like a real explorer (without the dysentery, hopefully).
- 130+ sports profiles: From swimming laps to scaling mountains, the Grit X tracks it all, offering insights to make you a data-driven champion (who still enjoys the outdoors).
- Battery life that outlasts your coffee: 40 hours in smartwatch mode means this watch keeps ticking long after your phone gives up the ghost.
- 100m water resistance: Dive into the deep or conquer the pool – the Grit X laughs in the face of H2O.
- Pros: Customizable faces, accessory compatibility, extensive sports profiles, heart rate monitoring
- Cons: Pricey compared to some, limited third-party app options
The Polar Grit X is for outdoor enthusiasts and serious athletes who crave a rugged smartwatch with smarts. It’s powerful, durable, and packed with features, making it the perfect partner for pushing your limits, both on land and in the water. So, if you’re looking for a swimming watch that can handle any adventure you throw at it, the Grit X is your fearless companion.
Check Price on Amazon
You will also like: 8 Best Drones with Cameras You Can Buy
Ending Words: Best Swimming Watches
The best smartwatch for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences. Each of the eight smartwatches reviewed in this article offers unique features, making it essential to carefully consider your needs and budget when choosing the best smartwatch. Whether you are a fitness enthusiast, an outdoor adventurer, or someone who values style and functionality, you can choose from these five options. Which one did you like the most? Let us know in the comments.